The NGPA National Events Planning Committee is a group of member volunteers led by a Board-appointed chairman that exists to support and build upon the mission statement of the National Gay Pilots Association:
Through education, outreach programs, and social events, we promote our primary organizational goals:
• Encourage members of the LGBT community to begin piloting careers.
• Foster equal treatment of LGBT aviators through advocacy and outreach.
• Promote aviation safety.
• Provide an affirming social and professional network for LGBT aviators.
Events at the National Gay Pilots Association are designed to appeal to new and existing members by adhering to a common set of goals:
1. Keep events affordable while continuing to provide additional value to attendees and acting responsibly within the confines of a defined budget process.
2. Respect the broad majority of member requests to retain our two flagship events, the Cape Cod Classic and the Palm Springs Winter Warm-Up.
3. Provide an array of activities, seminars, workshops, and keynote presentations that reflect the diverse composition of the NGPA membership, including general, commercial, and corporate aviation; women’s issues; transgender issues; aeromedical issues; and general LGBT issues.
4. Encourage networking and fellowship throughout member ranks and across varying demographic divides.
5. Adapt to the changing needs and attitudes among membership through the use of feedback portals, surveys, and direct user experiences.
The NGPA National Events Planning Committee is directly responsible for the Association’s two yearly flagship events:
Palm Springs Winter Warm-Up
Our flagship west coast event is held each January and is by far the largest yearly NGPA gathering. Warm winter weather, a uniquely southwest landscape, and miles of blue skies make this the perfect spot for a January fly-in. In recent years, the popularity of the Palm Springs Winter Warm-Up has grown due to the addition of the very successful NGPA Industry Expo. Learn more >
Cape Cod Classic
In 1990, our first event was held in Provincetown, Mass., and it included a handful of gay pilots. Communication was by telephone, and people were to be identified by having an airplane on their shirts. During that time, members risked losing their jobs or being discharged from the military if they were outed as gay.
This eventually evolved into a national organization, and we're excited to continue to celebrate that legacy at the 2016 Cape Cod Classic. Set against the classic New England backdrop of Cape Cod, the NGPA Cape Cod Classic is held in the gayest town in the world, Provincetown, which provides a unique, intimate, and fun environment for our members to gather while still being highly accessible due to its proximity to Boston. Learn more >
Our Focus on General Aviation Development
In the wake of many surveys, our members have clearly communicated a need for the Association to re-double efforts to appeal to the general aviation community. The National Events Planning Committee has always been focused on our rich history of general aviation, and will continue to make every effort to appeal to this audience in the years to come. Learn more >
Click for the NGPA Events Calendar >
Chairman, National Events Planning Committee